Youth Leadership Program - Information
Pearl River Valley Electric Power Association wants to help develop the future leaders of our communities and state. That’s why we sponsor two area students in this exciting program designed for high school juniors.
Essay deadline is October 31.
Now in its 34th year, the Mississippi Youth Leadership Program is an enjoyable educational experience that makes a lasting impact on participants.
The program seeks to:
- Help students develop the confidence and ability to become better leaders in their schools and communities.
- Stimulate their interest in governmental affairs and encourage their participation in the democratic process.
- Provide a unique insight into the value of working with others to achieve common goals.
- Inform students about electric power associations, the cooperative form of business and the distribution of electricity.
- Foster interaction among students from communities throughout Mississippi and the nation.
Youth Leadership Workshop
Students will attend the Youth Leadership Workshop in Jackson, February 26-28, 2020, where they will study the finer aspects of leadership, watch state government in action and hear presentations from government leaders, business leaders, motivational speakers and electric power association professionals.
The workshop also features a breakfast with each student’s respective state senator and representative, a visit to the Capitol and a Leadership Luncheon
2020 Washington, D.C. Youth Tour
Each year Mississippi’s student delegation joins more than 1,800 high school juniors from across the nation at the Youth Tour in Washington, D.C., where they learn about cooperatives and rural electrification from a national perspective.
During the week-long trip, students also visit numerous monuments and memorials, the White House, the Smithsonian Institution and much more. They meet Mississippi’s two senators and their respective representative at the U.S. Capitol. Students will attend an inspirational and informative youth rally and witness the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery’s Tomb of the Unknowns. The busy schedule also includes time for shopping and relaxation.
Pearl River Valley Electric’s 2020 Youth Tour students will fly to Washington, D.C. from Jackson or Gulfport on Saturday, June 20 and return on Friday, June 26.